Thursday, 5 March 2015

A couple of cards

I was having quite a struggle this morning with the latest version of Word. I must have somehow clicked on something which made this version default and now I don't know how to get back to the version I know. Trying to make this circular sentiment nearly drove me dotty and is nothing like the previous method. It's not quite right, but for the moment will have to do. The font is too big but it's the only way I could see to make the sentiment go completely round the circle. Sometime I'll investigate further and try to do it properly.
This card is for the challenge at Color Q
I loved the colours immediately but sadly the card is not quite as good as I had hoped. The image is masked from a Stampin' Up Easter stamp and the flower heads paper pieced and coloured with Promarkers. I over-stamped it with a splat from SU Gorgeous Grunge and framed it with a Simon Says Stamp stitched rectangle, with the addition of a piece of downloaded newsprint.
The Card Concept challenge is to create a Thinking of you card based on this photo inspiration. I used the tulips from this picture.
The sentiment on this card says, 'You make me happy when skies are grey'. (Computer generated)
The wellies are from an old SU set and the colour chosen from Color Throw down.
I thought I'd use wellies too but one for each colour!
I coloured them with watercolour pencils and a water brush.
The cloud is from Lawn Fawn and the raindrops from SSS.
AAA Cards challenge is Watercolour Rain
The link to that challenge is a little tenuous (I did watercolour the boots and there are some raindrops) so I hope this will do for that!!
We're off to see Jeeves and Wooster at the Chichester Festival theatre this evening... should be fun!

Tuesday, 3 March 2015

First attempt at Bokeh

I have the Happy Little Stampers challenge to thank for the inspiraton behind this card.
Their March challenge is to use sponging and one of the examples they quote which might be tried is Bokeh, which was new to me. So here is my first attempt at it.
I wet a piece of card before dropping splats of Aqua Tints onto it with a pipette. Once dry, I stencilled various sizes of circle all over the surface using Stazon white ink on a sponge dauber. I simply love the effect.
I added a Memory Box butterfly and the die-cut name of my daughter-in-law for whom this card was made. I would have like to have inlaid the name but the font I wanted to use is from Cuttlebug and there are various letters on one die making it unsuitable for this technique.
The panel was cut with a stitched rectangle die from Simon Says Stamp before mounting onto the card front with dimensional pads.
Thank you Happy Little Stampers, this is a technique I shall certainly be using again!

Monday, 2 March 2015

More experiments

Today I was experimenting with Aqua Tints again. It was simply  adding a few drops of colour to my glass mat, spritzing and allowing some card to soak up the ink. I added a little gold ink using some scrunched up cling wrap. When dry I simply die cut some flowers and added them to a Marianne Flourish. The sentiment is from Tattered Lace
It's my take on the Card Concept get well challenge. I simply used just one colour for my cascade of  flowers.
I used card with slightly less depth of colour for this card which follows the sketch this week at Freshly Made Sketches
I used an embossing folder from X Cut, mounted on a panel cut with a SSS stitched rectangle, butterflies from Memory Box and sentiment from Simon Says Stamp amd Tattered Lace. IRL the ribbon is a close match, coloured with a Copic pen to match the ink.

Sunday, 1 March 2015

Aqua Tints

Today I had a play with some Aqua Tints. I dropped a small amount of two shades of brown and one of grey onto my glass mat and spritzed them with water. I then dipped a sheet of card into it until there was some colour all over it, then dropped some grains of rock salt over it before drying off the sheet with my heat tool. I thought that the effect it produced reminded me of burr walnut wood and so decided to use it for a masculine card...hence the addition of the saw and screwdriver.
The 'happy' on this card is three layers thick and inlaid, the 'birthday' is simply added over the base card.
              


The challenge at Addicted to CAS has the code word Distress
The horizontal panel on this card is severely distressed. I began by stamping Artemio's manuscript stamp and then ripping the upper and lower edges. I stamped the foxing with a SU splat stamp in Tea Dye DI, then inked the rest with Antique Linen and Old Paper inks using sponge daubers. The ribbon snippings from a sweater I bought on sale in M&S were just the right shade to add to it.
The violin is an old stamp from rubbadubbadoo and the sentiment is from Lili of the Valley.